Mortal Angel

{the vulnerable scrawl that wants to be my novel for NaNoWriMo}

Monday, November 29, 2004

 

Twenty-three ~ Elude

My dear N-----,

       Well, last night was certainly an interesting evening, was it not? The woman had the dramatics of a dozen operas in her emotions of an hour's time; such a delightful game, to prompt her from one to the next! To flatter her into coy confidence and sensuous attentions, then rip away the false mirror's painted reflection and tear from her all self-worth, leaving her a hysterical mass of wretchedness, refusing to believe even the most honest of reassuring compliments, fearing it to be a lie... but still needing acceptance, and so soon believing anyway. Ah, darling, it ad been some time since I so enjoyed simple manipulation, it was thoroughly entertaining. A shame F----- left so early, it was the sort of thing he used to be quite adept at.

       Do you recall that delectable cafĂ© which was near C-----'s residence in B-----? The wine last night must have been from the same area as what was reputedly exclusive to that fine establishment - the label was different, but with such a distinctive aroma, I cannot be mistaken. An incredible sweetness, faintly laced with a pungence of near-decay... a trace of the origins of such refined opulence. So much praise, for the liquid of things spoiled.

       The man you brought with you had rather too much of it, I think, yet I was glad when he did, for he was quite disagreeable, I must tell you. I do not know what made you think he would be acceptable company, he was simply atrocious, darling. Rude, completely devoid of manners, such a detestable creature! Not once did I hear a word of praise for the fabulous decour S----- devised for the evening, nor the delicious entertainment - not even a single compliment on anyone's outfit! He eyed everything with an air of dulled boredom, as if he wished to be elsewhere - he, a mere mortal who should have felt honoured to be granted attendance! No human could ever approach our rank, and certainly he was not worthy of even our slightest favour. Your taste in persons continues to elude me, my dear, I do not see why you should continue to bring such unrefined, despicable beings to our gatherings. They quite spoil the evening, their breath souring the very air. He spurned all advances, his eyes ever seeking our yours alone in a lustful hunger, which was not it itself a thing to be admonished... what concerned me was the look of command. As if he owned you, and was only humouring you by letting you attend a friend's party, and was merely waiting until his pet had settled down and he might rein it back in again to do his bidding. I most certainly hope such was only a game you were playing with him, allowing him the illusion of control only enough that you might all the more drastically wrest it away from him.

       Ah, darling, I wonder at times what will become of us, such terrible influence some of us have allowed this world to wreak upon their selves... I cannot understand these weaknesses, this apparent desire to relinquish all that we are for such meaningless forms of existing... A terribly depressing subject, I must admit I miss "the good old days", as they were, when we had newly been bound to this simple earth - do you remember the speech M----- once made? How boldly he defined and validated all we intended, what a splendid release he affirmed!

       And see what he has now become.

       Much as I may question your choice among mortals, I knew you would never see them as anything approaching an equal, and I must say that this does comfort me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want not agree on it. I regard as warm-hearted post. Particularly the title attracted me to review the unscathed story.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home