Mortal Angel

{the vulnerable scrawl that wants to be my novel for NaNoWriMo}

Thursday, November 18, 2004

 

Nineteen ~ Detriments

My dear L-----,

       What you have heard is entirely accurate. T----- has withdrawn from our company, having convinced himself that it is in mankind he shall find whatever it is he believes he is lacking. I see only that he lacks reason, and certainly Man has little enough of that! A number of us attempted to dissuade him from this absolute nonsense, but he is quite adamant in his delirium. He was spoiling the entire atmosphere of our existence, so I told him to leave, if he felt we were so mistaken in our pursuits and attitudes.

       I fear a few others may follow - I have little doubt that M----- will. But M----- never has been quite the same since that posturing singer he doted upon years ago. Oh. the man had potential for us, certainly, but there was something far too bright in the corners of his blue eyes, something I was wary of from the beginning. And though M----- maintained his lifestyle as before, there was a part of him he held in reserve still, his eyes a hue closer to the singer's (similar as they had been when they had been when the relationship began, the resemblance grew still more).

       The more time spent within Time, the greater its detriments on some of our number. Sad, isn't it, how like Man some become - change and decay as years flow past fragile flesh.

       To you, I will admit, there is one thing I miss, and that is the freedom to exist outside of Time. My self, of course, will never quite be constrained by chronology, yet I cannot help but feel its inexorable pull on this body, a pull enough to cause even my soul some degree of discomfiture. Perhaps it is impudent of me to ask, but has such ever had an affect on you? I do not truly fear it, for I have not the weaknesses of those as T----- and M-----, yet it is a tiresome sensation to cope with.

       I do hope things return to their usual course, now that T----- will no longer be causing disruptions. Oh, dramatics are always very exciting, of course, but it is best when it is frivolous, and can be pushed away when one grows weary of it. I am quite glad he has gone - I had grown so tired of having to argue against such pitiful assumptions, and it was quite depressing to look at one who had once grasped the very cosmos so eagerly pursuing the mundane existence of mortals. let this miserable rain wash away his carefully-wrought façade, let him be naked and vulnerable as the petty beings he so admires. We will maintain the dignity of our superior rank, keeping mere men at a fitting distance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home