Mortal Angel

{the vulnerable scrawl that wants to be my novel for NaNoWriMo}

Friday, November 19, 2004

 

Twenty-one ~ Entertainment

My dear F-----,

       It has been far too long since I saw you, darling, it is pleasant to hear you are again in the area. I shall have to hear how things are in N-----, it has been some time since I was last there

       I do hope you will find the entertainment which we have requested for the party in honour of your return to be to your liking - I am certain you will, it is someone you have had your eye on for some time, I believe. But there! I shall ruin the surprise, which is half the pleasure of a thing.

       Novelty, darling, such a delightful thing. What is new may not long be good, but it is always initially interesting. The excitement of a new painting revealed, a song first performed, a fresh theory expounded... ah, pretty one, such moments make Time almost worthwhile, do they not? The delicate scent of a flower whose petals are for the first time parting...

       And the delicious sight of the starry-eyed naïvete of the artist fading, as the passion of their preposterous heart is reduced to dry critique, fodder for public consumption, accepted or dismissed with no more effort than a wave of the hand. The eager joy and pride which consumed them melts as a candle's wax, leaving only empty space and a misshapen form crumpled on the floor. Oftentimes, it is the process in which they themselves reach, exist within, and fall from acclaim which is more enticing than the art by which they do so.

       I had word from L----- about your departure from H----- some time ago. Whatever was that about, darling? He seemed quite perturbed about the circumstances under which you left, and I must say the rest of us were at quite a loss. I believe your actions since have appeased him, but that still does not explain why you said such things, or why you left his company so abruptly. It seems things had been quite well, L----- spoke of a seemingly delightful child who had recently fallen in among all of you there; it appears he was quite the thing, and all were much taken with him, yourself included. Whyever then did you leave so quickly, with only a cryptic message of departure? It looked almost as if you were reprimanding their behavior - but certainly that was not the case, for I have never known you to have such silly qualms before. Do you remember the first night you were with us in B-----? Ah, what a time we had! Mmm, do you remember his eyes as we told him what we wanted of him? Such an exquisite combination of apprehension and determination, disgust and desire, fear and eagerness, the golden candlelight fracturing as it hit his dark eyes...

       But it seems you have gotten over whatever it was, and I am quite glad of that, particularly in light of all that has gone on of late. This party shall almost be as much an affirmation for us as for you... but do not think we hold you in less esteem, that is not the case at all, my dear. Nor, of course, have we at all questioned our ways. It will simply be pleasant to have a party with all the delights inherent, without having to fret over troublesome persons.

       I am much looking forward to your company, darling. I hope you find your stay a pleasing one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home