Mortal Angel

{the vulnerable scrawl that wants to be my novel for NaNoWriMo}

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

 

Eleven - Poised

My dear Z-----,

       Have you spoken with T----- recently? I cannot seem to locate him, I am certain he is aware of my distaste for this writer he has been so closely associating with. yet how could I not be perturbed? T----- has not been present at a single gathering of late, and on the rare occasions he has joined us, he has been questioning our ways, doubting even our clear superiority to these pithy humans! I should simply disregard his ramblings and say his mind has obviously been warped by this world, and is no longer credible. But he has raised similar doubts in a number of others, his reasoning seems frighteningly persuasive to some.

       Even should this prove to be a joke on all of us it would be reprehensible, toying with men is a delightful amusement but to play at contorting the views of us! Betrayal of his own companions, betrayal of us, who joined together in the face of Heaven itself! This cannot be allowed to continue.

       All the same, darling, I truly hope this is no more than a tasteless prank, for if it isn't.....

       But to tend to more relevant affairs, I must compliment you again on the new décor of your parlour, I was quite impressed. Of course, the paintings were a little crude to my eye, but then I was able to obtain the services of that splendid P----- for my rooms, before his death, do you remember him? Ah, darling, such depth and richness in his work, the like of which had not been seen in centuries of man, nor is likely again for longer still. But the room as a whole was a delight to the senses, my dear, very fine work.

       Have you seen any of the latest piano prodigy? He is poised to become the next media darling quite soon, and I am curious to see what becomes of his character when he sees the art of his soul thrown into the public fray, to be dissected, criticized, misconstrued and blindly praised. He is immensely talented, of course, and is sure of that talent - for now, at least, he has thus far met only encouragement, and no true competition.

       The human ego does not stand long under direct pressure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home